Friday, July 20, 2012

Foundry 40mm Union Cavalry




This is my first attempt at a 40mm mounted figure.  It's also my first real attempt at photographing my figures, so I hope people will offer some constructive comments on both painting and photographing.

The cavalryman is painted with Vallejo Acrylics while the horse (with the exception of the black tack) is painted with oils.  Painting a horse was a first for me, having used it on only one 54mm figure previously.  So while the paint may have gone on a little thick in some areas, I'm pleased with it as a first attempt.  One lesson I learned the hard way though -- wait until the oils are THOROUGHLY dry before applying a coat of flat lacquer.  The lacquer muddied the colors in a couple of places before I stopped (lesson #2: always apply lacquer by an airbrush not a brush!  I was being lazy).

The grass tufts and flowers are from Army Painter.  I would really like to improve my groundwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment